Sunday, June 22, 2008

Calzones, Wine, and Good Times

My university was wonderful. The people I met there are glorious and I love when I get the rare chance to see them again. It's especially great when close friends get hitched and you get to turn it into a huge reunion. However, it's also been surprisingly wonderful to scatter around the country after graduation. Before I got to Houston, I heard about massive cockroaches, flooding, and humidity that would drive me bonkers. No one told me that I'd get to spend wonderful friday nights with close and interesting friends over for a dinner of calzones (and healthy doses of wine) talking about religion and relationships and laughing... and then go to the great park down the street to play Scrabble while we listened to the free symphony concert. Why do people seem to leave those things out?

Calzones
First, make pizza dough:
  • Add 1 tsp of yeast to a cup and a half of warm water with a pinch of sugar. Let that sit for about 10 minutes.
  • Put 4 cups of bread flour in a bowl. Make a well in it, add the yeast mixture. Knead the dough for about 10 minutes. Leave it in a floured bowl (covered with a damp cloth) to rise for 1 1/2 hours.
Once the dough has risen, roll out small circles (about 6 inches) of thin layers of dough on a floured surface. Fill them with whatever you want! I used equal parts cooked spinach, ricotta, and mozzarella with oregano, basil, and parmesan. Put the filling to one side of the circle, fold the other half over, and pinch sides together or use a fork to make closed edges. Use a knife to poke a small hole in the center of the calzone to ensure that it bakes properly. Bake at 375 for 20- 25 minutes.

No comments: