Saturday, September 27, 2008

Disasters and Successes


I am in love with this cookbook. That is decided.

However, I have had one disappointment with it so far. After an exhausting day at work on Thursday, I was excited to try another new recipe. I waited in Houston traffic to get to the grocery store to get fresh spinach, stayed on my feet when I got home so I could clean the kitchen, diced and spiced, and made Spinach Rice Casserole (Pg 135). When I took the first bite, I wasn't a big fan. By the fourth bite, I no longer wanted dinner. When Sam packed the left-overs in my lunch on Friday, I ended up eating a lunch of brownies and apple slices instead.

Even though I disliked that recipe, I ADORED another. There's this darling cafe down the street where you can get heavenly white chocolate bread pudding for $7. I've often wondered if I could pull off the same divinity at home. Yesterday, I did! The oatmeal raisin bread that I didn't eat fast enough transformed into one of the easiest and tastiest desserts that I have made to date. And please, realize that when I say easy, I mean it. All I had to do was cut up the bread, put it in a pan, mix together eggs milk and some spices, and pour that stuff over the bread. I think it took 5 minutes total. Glorious. Plus, all the ingredients together for an entire pan probably cost me about $2. Good savings and great food.


WHITE CHOCOLATE BREAD PUDDING

3 to 4 packed cups cubed bread (OK if stale or frozen)
3 eggs
3 cups skim milk
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup white chocolate chunks

Preheat oven to 350. Have ready a 9x13 inch baking pan.
Spread the bread in the pan. Sprinkle white chocolate in along with the bread.
Beat together remaining ingredients. Pour the custard over the bread.
Sprinkle with nutmeg and cinnamon.
Bake about 35 minutes.
Eat warm with vanilla ice cream and/or strawberry slices.

1 comment:

Ashley // Our Little Apartment said...

We got purple cabbage in our CSA.

What the heck can you do with purple cabbage!?

(Also - I have an AMAZING Mexican bread pudding recipe that I'll have to post on my blog. Yummy bread pudding!)