Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Fruit of Our Travels

We're getting ready to leave Indiana and drive the last stretch back to our home in Houston, TX.
All of our visits have given me a couple of ideas. I have loved seeing family and friends but I'm also excited to get back to our own place where we control our own schedules, sleeping arrangements, activities... I like control.

  • In Chicago, we tried deep dish pizza. It was great company, but I like my home-made version much better.
  • Also in Chicago, Jenn made awesome grilled vegetables that I want to try. Red and yellow peppers, corn and asparagus. All heavenly. I don't know why I ever boiled asparagus.
  • My mom is getting us bikes as an early Christmas gift (awesome) so I'm psyched to have no excuse. From now on, I will ride my bike the 3 miles to the co-op to get locally grown produce. I'll have to get more creative since you get what you get. The bikes will make it more convenient to get to the park where we drop off our compost too.
  • Sam's grandma made a scrumptious Italian dish called pasta fasul that I want to give a try.
  • I WILL MAKE MY OWN LATTE! So delicious but so expensive when you buy one at a time. I got a discount french press from Marshall's (I love that place because they sometimes have shoes that fit my huge size 11 feet) and am on the look out for a milk steamer. I hear it's just a little kettle/pot gig with a thermometer. Anyone know where I can find a very simple inexpensive version?
  • Oh and we officially do not eat fish now. I used to say I was open to eating fish because my mom wanted to be able to make something that the whole family would eat. Now she realizes that you can make vegetarian dishes that carnivores, omnivores, and herbivores can all enjoy.

No comments: